Friday, November 18, 2016

Melanoma

    This weeks cancer topic is melanoma skin cancer. Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin cells. Melanoma begins specifically in the melanocyte type of skin cells. Melanocytes make a brown pigment known as melanin, which is what gives skin the brown or tan color. When you lay out to tan and are exposed to more sunlight the melanocytes will make more of the pigment. Melanomas can occur anywhere on your skin, but primarily occur on the chest or back in men and the legs of women. This type of skin cancer can come from moles that turn into melanoma. UV rays from sunlight or from tanning beds are a major cause of melanoma. These UV rays damage the DNA in the skin, which can alter how genes control how skin cells grow and divide. DNA changes can turn on oncogenes, which help cells grow and divide, or turn off tumor suppressor genes, which keep cell growth in check or cause cells to die.

    Current research suggests that increased sun exposure as a child and teenager is linked to development of melanoma. Majority of those with melanoma have reported having sunburns or other intense sun exposures as a child. Researcher have also noted that their has been an increase in melanomas occurring on the arms, neck, and face. These areas are commonly exposed, especially in men, which could lead to a higher risk of melanoma. Researchers are studying whether or not these different types of exposures to UV (including tanning booths) creates changes in different genes. If this is the case, different treatments may be needed for different exposure histories.

    While it is scary to think that our exposure to sun as a child and teenager could be the reason for developing melanoma later in life, we should still take precautions to avoid getting skin cancer. The best thing you can do is wear sunscreen, limit your exposure to UV rays, and know your body. If you notice any strange discoloration, growths, bumps, patches, or sores that won't go away.

Reference:
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/skincancer-melanoma/

3 comments:

  1. Kelsey-
    I had always known that UV light causes DNA damage, but I never knew exactly how. I think you do a good job explaining how the light damages the genes that control skin cell division and growth, and how tumor suppressor genes can be turned off to initiate the growth of cancer. On another note, a few years ago my father had some skin cancer spots removed from his hands (no worries, he is fine!). I have always wondered if there was some kind of genetic link associated with skin cancer. If so, I should probably take extra precautions when exposed to strong sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this was incredibly informative. I never knew exactly how melanoma works. This article just further shows how important sun block is. Melanoma can happen to anyone at any time. I've heard too many stories about teenagers getting cancer just from too much sun exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never wore sun screen as a child. I'm of the Hispanic decent and would only get beautifully tanned. So, my parents never worried much about it. I was always outside as a kid, but when I started working/going to school, my outdoor activities became a thing of the past. So, now I burn when I'm in the sun for too long. I'm constantly lathering up now, but I wonder if my childhood mistakes will haunt me later.

    ReplyDelete